Back when I was 14 I think my mom bought me a pair of Russian 8x30s. They were my first pair of bins and they came with yellow filters for the eyepieces (I never used them). The eyepieces themselves were awkward if you wore glasses,, as I did. Fold down eye cups weren't a thing back in the early 80s. So I would use them by looking over my glasses, and enjoying the views. I can remember it like it was yesterday! Later I removed the hard eyecups and made my own using sticky backed foam. Then the left ocular came out and I messed around with the arrangement of the glass elements, which was quite interesting.
Anyway I've kept those binoculars and even though over the years the screws have got a bit rusty and the left ocular has become lost (I'm blind in that eye anyway) I still have them and they are still very sharp, and quick to focus. Russians built things to last! I wonder how long my Bresser Hunters will last!




No comments:
Post a Comment